A well-run workplace health and safety (WHS) program can do a lot to protect employees from injury and illness. By ensuring that employees are aware of potential hazards and know how to safely work in their environment, businesses can reduce the risk of accidents and injuries
An effective WHS program also helps to keep workers productive and healthy. When employees feel safe at work, they are more likely to be engaged in their work and less likely to take time off due to injury or illness. A strong WHS program can therefore have a positive impact on a company’s bottom line
There are many benefits of having an effective WHS program in place, but perhaps the most important one is that it can save lives. By ensuring that employees are aware of potential hazards and know how to safely work in their environment, businesses can help to prevent tragic accidents from occurring.
10 reasons why it’s important for employees to know WHS
1. It’s the law – In Australia, all businesses are required to have a WHS program in place
2. Protects employees – A good WHS program will help protect employees from injury or illness
3. Reduces accidents and injuries – By identifying and addressing potential hazards, a WHS program can help reduce the number of accidents and injuries in the workplace
4. Improves productivity – A safe and healthy workplace is a more productive workplace
5. Saves money – A well-designed WHS program can save businesses money by reducing accidents and injuries, improving productivity, and avoiding costly fines and legal fees
6. Helps avoid costly fines and legal fees – A business that does not have a WHS program in place risks being fined by regulators
7. Improves morale – Employees who feel safe and healthy at work are more likely to be engaged and productive
8. Reduces absenteeism – A good WHS program can help reduce the number of days employees take off work due to injury or illness
9. Increases employee retention – A safe and healthy workplace is more likely to retain employees than one that is unsafe or unhealthy
10. Creates a better reputation – A business with a good WHS program can develop a positive reputation, which can attract new customers and partners.
While no WHS program can completely eliminate all risks, an effective program can greatly reduce the likelihood of accidents and injuries occurring in the workplace. For this reason, it is important for businesses to invest in a well-run WHS program. It is not only the right thing to do for employees, but it makes good business sense.